Inspired by one of my favorite shows and an upcoming bridal shower for a Whovian-loving friend, I whipped-up a set of Doctor Who themed TARDIS cocktail napkins. They were so simple to make and fun to use, there’s no reason not to make yourself a set to celebrate your favorite fandom. Plus, add a set of martini glasses, cocktail mixers, or silly ice cube trays and you have a geeky gift ready to go!
I’m now curious, what’s the plural of TARDIS? TARDISes? TARDI?
Anyway, are you ready to make your own set? Allons-y!
- six 7″ fabric squares with printed design (I used these by spacefem, or browse spoonflower for more fun fabrics: daleks, weeping angels, Gallifreyan)
- six 7″ fabric squares of backing fabric (I used a black cotton/poly blend from my stash)
- thread to match
- sewing machine
- sonic screwdriver (optional)
1) Take one printed square and one backing square, and place them right sides together. Pin around the outside leaving a 2″-3″ gap on one side. This is where you’ll turn the square right-side out later.
2. Stitch around the outside 1/2″ from the edge, making sure to leave the gap open.
3. Snip the fabric from the corners; approaching, but not cutting through, the seam. This makes your corners lie flat.
4. Fold and press the edge flap of the printed fabric towards the center of square. This creates a smoother seam line.
5. Turn the squares right-side out and iron again. Top stitch 1/4″ from the edge.
That’s it! Pour yourself a drink and watch an episode or five of Doctor Who.
If you make a set, I’d love to see it! Please share a link to your project.
How are you feeling about Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor? I’m still in my wary post-regeneration adjustment phase. It usually takes a few episodes for me to fall in love with a new Doctor, and then I have to re-watch everything to realize they were amazing all along. Does anyone else do that?